Cheyenne VA Medical Center
Military Sexual Trauma
VA uses the term “military sexual trauma” (MST) to refer to sexual assault or harassment experienced during military service. MST includes any sexual activity that you are involved with against your will. Examples include:
- Being pressured or coerced into sexual activities, such as with threats of negative treatment if you refuse to cooperate or with promises of better treatment in exchange for sex
- Someone having sexual contact with you without your consent, such as when you were asleep or intoxicated
- Being physically forced to have sex
- Being touched in a sexual way that made you uncomfortable
- Repeated comments about your body or sexual activities
- Threatening and unwanted sexual advances
Anyone can experience MST, regardless of gender. Like other types of trauma, MST can negatively affect a person’s mental and physical health, even many years later. Things you may experience could include:
- Disturbing memories or nightmares
- Difficulty feeling safe
- Feelings of depression or numbness
- Problems with alcohol or other drugs
- Feeling isolated from other people
- Problems with anger, irritability, or other strong emotions
- Issues with sleep
- Physical health problems
If you are having current difficulties related to MST, VA is here to support you in whatever way will help you best — from simply learning more about how MST affects people, to treatment that helps you cope with how MST is impacting your life currently, or if you prefer, treatment that involves discussing your experiences in more depth.
Watch this video to learn about the effects of MST on survivors and the services VA has available to assist in recovery.
Any Veteran who experienced sexual trauma while serving in the military can receive counseling. Our Military Sexual Trauma (MST) Program Coordinator can provide assistance accessing care such as mediations, talk therapies and social supports, and if needed, special inpatient or residential programs available to male and female Veterans who have experienced MST.
- Cheyenne VAMC
- 307-778-7550 Ext. 7349
- 888-483-9127 Ext. 7349
Hours of Operation
- 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.