Social Work - Cheyenne VA Medical Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Cheyenne VA Medical Center


Social Work

 Do I need a social worker?

You will find social workers in all program areas in VA medical centers who are ready to help you with most any need. If you have questions or problems, the social worker will be able to help you or can refer you to the right person for help.

Here are some of the ways that VA social workers can help:

  • Assist with financial or housing assistance
  • Provide guidance on support from the VA or community agencies
  • Provide assistance applying for VA benefits, Social Security and other government and community programs
  • Develop and implement treatment to address individual social problems
  • Work with acute or chronic medical conditions, dying patients, and bereaved families
  • Provides a voice for at-risk Veterans and their families
  • Ensure doctors and other VA staff on your treatment team are aware of your decisions regarding end-of-life, otherwise called advance directives and living wills. Items include life support equipment, organ donor, and power of attorney
  • Arrange for respite care for your caregiver, so he or she may receive a break or extended vacation
  • Financial or housing assistance
  • Marriage or family problems
  • Help moving to an assisted living facility or a nursing home
  • Bereavement counseling
  • Counseling for drinking or drug use, relationship issues, sad, depressed or anxious

There are many more ways VA social workers can help. If any of these situations apply to you or your family, ask to see the social worker at your VA Medical Center.

How can social workers help?

What do I do first.......Assessment

Generally, the first step is for the social worker to meet with you and your family. The social worker will then ask questions about your health, living situation, family, and other support systems, military experience, or if you may need additional assistance. An assessment is then created to help you and your VA health care team develop treatment plans.

Crisis Intervention

During a crisis, social workers provide counseling services to help you get through the situation. The social worker will then assist you with more long-term needs. The social worker can help you apply for services and programs in your community and through the VA to meet emergent needs.

High-risk Screening

Social workers work particularly closely with those veterans who are at high-risk, such as those who are homeless, those who have been admitted to the hospital several times, and those who cannot care for themselves any longer. 

Discharge Planning

When you are admitted to a VA hospital, the social worker will help you make plans for your discharge back home or to the community. If you need services in your home or if you can no longer live at home by yourself, the social worker can help you make arrangements for the help you need.  

VA social workers are responsible for ensuring continuity of care through the admission, evaluation, treatment, and follow-up processes. This includes coordinating discharge planning and providing case management services based on the patient's clinical and community health and social services resources.

Case Management

Social workers often provide long-term case management services to veterans who are at high risk of being admitted to a hospital, those who have very complex medical problems, and those who need additional help and support. They are available when needed to provide and coordinate a variety of services you may need, including counseling or support services, or just helping you figure out what you need and how to get it.


Sometimes it can be hard for a veteran to speak up for himself or herself. And sometimes veterans are confused by such a big, bureaucratic agency like the VA. Social workers can advocate for you and go to bat for you when you have a hard time doing it by yourself.


Social workers can help educate you and your family about your health care condition, what services and programs are available, how you can live a more healthy life, how you can deal with stress and loss, and how you can find support groups and other self-help programs in your community. Social workers also educate other staff in the medical center and in the community about VA programs and services and about how problems veterans may be having in their personal lives can impact their health.


Clinical social workers provide individual therapy, group therapy, and family therapy to address emotional, behavioral, and mental. VA Social Workers can help you with all of these types of services, plus many, many more. If you have a problem or a question, you can ask a social worker. We're here to help you!

VA Social Workers can help you with all of these types of services, plus many, many more. If you have a problem or a question, you can ask a social worker. We're here to help you!

Caregiver Support Program

CLC Social Work
307-778-7550, ext. 7237

Geriatrics &  Extended Care Coordinator
970-962-4900, ext. 2160

Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) Social Work
CHY: 307-920-1740
LVD: 307-757-8583

Hospice & Palliative Care Social Work
307-778-7550, ext. 7641

Med/Surge (Inpatient) Social Work
307-778-7550, ext. 7462

PACT (Primary Care) Social Work
Loveland: 970-962-4900, ext. 2249, 2144, 2152
FTC: 970-224-1550, ext. 2461, 2487
CHY: 307-778-7550, ext. 4855, 4770

Transition Care Management (Post 9/11) Coordinator

Tramatic Brain Injury Coordinator
307-778-7550, ext. 7231


Contact Info


  • Cheyenne VA Health Care System

Contact Number(s)

  • 307-778-7550

Hours of Operation

  • M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.