Cheyenne VA Medical Center
Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership
What is VITAL?
The Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL) Initiative’s mission is to provide world-class healthcare and improve the overall mental health of Veterans, while supporting their successful integration into college and university campuses through:
1. Promotion of positive cohesion between Veterans and the entire learning community through campus and community clinical education and training;
2. Seamless access to VA healthcare services and on-campus clinical counseling, and;
3. Providing efficient care coordination of all available services.
If you are a Veteran or concerned about a Veteran enrolled in a local college or university, VITAL will partner with you to resolve issues and find resources.
As a Veteran did you know?
- You have access to VA psychologist on your campus.
- There are important benefits and resources available to you.
- You have someone who can help with VA Services.
- You have an ally at school that knows your unique needs as a student Veteran.
The VITAL Psychologist can provide a variety of mental health services such as:
- Evidence-based treatment for adjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety, sleep problems and PTSD.
- Refer and work with university disability services to request academic accommodations.
- Support with University processes regarding academic actions and/or conduct issues.
- Assistance with enrollment and care at the VAMC.
- Obtain help and resources from within the VA and its affiliates including: Veterans Benefits Administration and Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Support with development of Student Veteran Peer Groups including Student Veterans of America Chapters.
The VITAL Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner and Psychiatrist is available to provide medication management for psychiatric concerns. These concerns may include:
- Sleep problems
- Attention or memory problems
- Education for college/university staff about Military & Veteran culture.
- VITAL will adhere to all privacy standards with respect and sensitivity.
- Work with college/university counseling centers in serving the unique readjustment needs of Veterans.
- Assist with communications between the VAMC and college/university staff about your concerns, resources and needs.
What to Expect
- Prompt attention to contact made to the VITAL program.
- Prompt response to phone or email inquiries about the VITAL program.
- Maintain a Veteran-centered perspective keeping the Veteran’s well-being and best interest in mind.
- Use of Research Based Treatments
Dr. Delia Sosa
VITAL Initiative Program Coordinator
Cheyenne VA Medical Center & Clinics
Consultant & University Liaison
Mental health services are confidential. We will not talk to anyone about information you share unless you give written consent. Under federal law, a few exceptions to this rule exist. If you have questions, please ask your mental health consultant. For an appointment with Mental Health, please call 307-778-7349 or toll-free (888) 483-9127.
Ft. Collins, CO
Hours of Operation
- 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.